Fix Django “Illegal mix of collations”

I have json file contains text non ASCII such kanji, tagalog etc.

{
    "Peru": ["S.A. - Sociedad Anónima", "S.A.A. - Sociedad Anónima Abierta"],

    "Philippines": ["Co. - Company", "Coop. - Cooperative", "Corp. - Corporation", "Ent. - Enterprise", "Inc. - Incorporated", "LLC - Limited Liability Company", "Ltd. - Limited", "Ltd. Co. - Limited Company", "Cía - Compañía", "SA - Sociedad Anónima"],

    "Poland": ["jednoosobowa działalność gospodarcza", "Przedsiębiorstwo Państwowe", "S.A. - spółka akcyjna", "s.c. - spółka cywilna", "S.K.A. - spółka komandytowo-akcyjna", "sp.j. - spółka jawna", "sp.k. - spółka komandytowa", "sp.p. - spółka partnerska", "Sp. z o.o. - spółka z ograniczoną odpowiedzialnością", "Spółdzielnia"],

    "Portugal": ["CRL - Cooperativa de Responsabilidade Limitada", "S.A. - Sociedade Anónima", "S.A. - Sociedade Aberta", "S.F. - Sociedade Fechada", "Lda. - Limitada", "Unipessoal Lda.", "SGPS - Sociedade Gestora de Participações Sociais"],

    "Romania": ["SNC - Societatea în nume colectiv", "SCS - Societatea în comandită simplă", "SCA - Societatea în comandită pe acțiuni", "SA - Societatea pe acțiuni", "SRL - Societatea cu răspundere limitată", "SRL cu proprietar unic - Societatea cu răspundere limitată cu proprietar unic", "S.A. - Societate pe Acţiuni", "S.C.A. - societate în comandită pe acţiuni", "S.C.S. - societate în comandită simplă", "S.N.C. - societate în nume colectiv", "S.R.L. - societate cu răspundere limitată", "PFA - persoana fizica autorizata", "O.N.G. - Organizație Non-Guvernamentală"],

    "Rusia": ["Nekommercheskaya organizatsiya/некоммерческая организация", "GP/ГП, GUP/ГУП - Gosudarstvennoye unitarnoye predpriyatie/Государственное унитарное предприятие", "IP/ИП - Individualny predprinimatel/Индивидуальный предприниматель", "OOO - Obshchestvo s ogranichennoy otvetstvennostyu/Общество с ограниченной ответственностью", "ПAO - Publichnoye aktsionernoye obshchestvo/Публичное акционерное общество", "kooperativ/кооператив", "AO - Aktsionernoye obshchestvo/Акционерное общество", "Prostoye Tovarishestvo - general partnership", "Kommanditnoe Tovarishestvo - limited partnership", "Hozyaystvennoe Partnerstvo - business partnership"],

    "Saudi Arabia": ["شركة ذات مسئولية محدودة - Private Limited Company", "شركة مساهمة - Joint-Stock company", "شركة تضامن - General Partnership Company", "شركة التوصية البسيطة - Limited Partnership", "شركة أجنبية - Foreign Company", "مؤسسة فردية - Individual Establishment"],
}

And I’m creating a script to read those data and insert into my database.
I’m using Django using MariaDB as my database and I found this error while inserting to the database.

django.db.utils.OperationalError: (1267, "Illegal mix of collations (latin1_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation '='")

After several minutes find a solution, the issue occurs because python using unicode string but my database doesn’t.

To fix this issue, I just need to update my database table collation in shell following below.

ALTER TABLE my_table_name CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;

Reference: https://stackoverflow.com/a/7083511/1936697

Handle Base64 Encoded Binary File in DRF

I’m writing a simple class for DRF field for handling base64 string for attachment both image and file. I’m using DRF 3 at this case.

And here is how to use it following below.

class MyModelSerializer(serializers.ModelSerializer):
    company_logo = Base64CharField(required=False)

    class Meta:
        model = MyModel
        fields = '__all__'

Feel free to use and improve my code. 😀

Fix Java Won’t Update in OSX Sierra

I have an issue using Oracle JDK in my laptop that the auto updater successfully update the JDK but the update is not applied on my system. I check my java version using.

$ java -version

But still showing the old version rather than the latest one.
I fix my issue by putting this following line on my bash configuration.

export PATH="/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin:$PATH"

Python: Fix getting “about:blank” in Selenium with PhantomJS

Having an issue with selenium when loading some URL with selenium using PhantomJS.
When I get the current_url some URL returned “about:blank” instead of the valid URL.

After several workarounds, the issue because PhantomJS by default using “SSLv3” and many websites had a bug in SSL migrate to TLS and caused got a blank page.

Here is how I solve my issue.

from selenium import webdriver

driver = webdriver.PhantomJS(service_args=['--ignore-ssl-errors=true', '--ssl-protocol=any'])

Reference: http://stackoverflow.com/a/34257642/1936697

Python: Fix “OSError: [Errno 9] Bad file descriptor” in Selenium using PhantomJS

I’m having an issue when closing selenium driver and sometimes the selenium driver failed to quit. Here is how to I solve this issue.

import signal
from selenium import webdriver

driver = webdriver.PhantomJS()
# Some code goes here
driver.service.process.send_signal(signal.SIGTERM)
driver.quit()

Reference: http://stackoverflow.com/a/38493285/1936697

Show OSX Battery Cycle Count in Terminal

In case you are too lazy to find info about your battery cycle count in your OSX. Here is how to check battery cycle count through terminal.

$ system_profiler SPPowerDataType | grep "Cycle Count" | awk '{print $3}'

Here is table information for maximum cycle count for your laptop.
mac battery count

Reference: http://apple.stackexchange.com/a/116435/199418